Friday, February 17, 2006

Pierre, -27, Walmart, Sunset

Tonight we played in Pierre, SD (pronounced "peer" - why didn't anyone tell us that when we learned our state capitals in 3rd grade? Incidentally, I also pronounced Boise, ID wrong until I visited. I'd always said "boy-zee", but the locals say "boy-see").

We're finally getting some real wintry weather. A little snow to keep the driving interesting (luckily Ryan is a Minnesota native and thus a pro at that stuff), but mostly just chilly temperatures. Overnight low with wind chill: -27. Ouch! And we perform in outfits like these. (See photo on right by Don Barnes from Little Rock, an easy-to-pronounce state capital.) You should see the collection of armwarmers (yup, like legwarmers, but for your arms) I use to help me warm up.


Last night we ate dinner at La Minestra, an excellent Italian restaurant here in town. http://www.laminestra.com/ This place was packed with locals (even on a Wednesday night), and the minute we walked through the door and breathed in pungent garlic, tomatoes, and oregano, we knew why.

Tonight, on the other hand, dinner got squeezed in between rehearsal and the concert, so we went to a Claremont favorite: Walmart. I'm not kidding. I know it's a ginormous socially irresponsible corporate monstrosity, but I have to admit a Walmart sighting elicits almost as much excitement in the Claremontmobile as a Cold Stone Creamery. There's just nothing like Walmart when it comes to finding most everything you could possibly want ... and much much more ... cheap cheap cheap. (Did you know many Walmarts stock live lobsters??) On a trip where the 4 of us constantly share a vehicle and rarely have extra time, it is really nice to be able to combine "I need contact solution", "I need yogurt", "I need Starbucks", "I need postcard stamps", "I need a highlighter", "I need dryer sheets", "I need a bathing suit", and "I need live lobsters" into a single stop.

On our way back to the concert venue, we caught sunset over the capital building.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home