Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Everynote.com

Yesterday we flew home from Kansas. We got to LaGuardia before noon, but our bags didn't run as fast as we did for our tight connection, so my suitcase didn't make it home til 9:30.

Today we flew to Memphis, so the turnaround was quick. I got the dirty clothes out, the clean in. I got the finished novel (Life of Pi, Yann Martel) out, and the new one (Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, Haruki Murakami) in. I got the toothbrush, music stand, and cell phone charger both out and in. And I took the music from our Sunday program out and put most of the music for our tomorrow program in. Everything except my Arensky Trio part. Not sure how I managed to forget that, but it happens.

For me, twice that I can remember. The first time I was 14 and in Brazil, and my lifesaving mother faxed it to me. The other time was a Claremont Trio concert where I realized 2 hours before the show that I had brought Volume I of the Beethoven Trios instead of Volume II. That time I was saved by a xerox machine. I copied Donna's score, cut out hundreds of strips of violin line, and taped them together, with minutes to spare before curtain.

Well, technology is advancing, and while my mother can always be counted on to bail me out in truly extreme circumstances, I have found a new source of replacement sheet music on tour. Everynote.com claims to be the world's biggest digital music library, and, from my first experience, I would say it is easy to use and an excellent value. I was able to download the violin part from the Arensky Op. 32 Trio in 8 seconds for $2.19.

I then made use of my hotel's business center to print and front desk to tape (hotel front desks are a neverending source of Scotch tape and free xeroxes). Within 15 minutes, I had a brand new part. Phew :-)

7 Comments:

At 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I saw you guys concert. I was one of the one or two young guys present, sitting about halfway down to the right who had a slight crush on Emily after reading in the liner notes that she majored in Eastern European History. I'm sure you recall me.
I was quite impressed with the program. The Varensky in particular was a very nice surprise. Keep up the good work, it was one of the better classical concerts I've been to in a long while.

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful concert in Memphis! I enjoyed your selections and music immensely. Come back and visit us again!

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always wondered what it would sound like if you tried to play from a page of sheet music that was turned upside down. If it sounds too bipolar or schizoid, then scrap it. But if it sounds promising, then you can rewrite the piece and copyright it! Ludwig & Wolfgang would be turning in their grave=0 but they're all dead anyways, and you can just say that it was in the public domain:-)/...

 
At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If push came to shove I bet that you could have played the Arensky from memory, no sweat!

Germaine

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Liz Simon said...

Mr. Anonymous, it is Julie who majored in Eastern European history. You gotta make sure you're crushing the right (married/engaged) gal.

Emily, you are fortunate to forget things that can be downloaded, faxed, copied, taped together, etc. Some of us have forgotten more critical items on our musical tours.

*:( ??====< (That's an emoticon for "%*?&#! How could I have forgotten my clarinet on the orchestra trip?")

-Liz

 
At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Emily! You often don't even look at your music much when you are performing! I bet that you could have played the whole Arensky from memory no sweat, even without having to get the music from your mom or from that great new ordering service!

Rodrigo

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger histfan said...

Just ordered a Mendelssohn Trios CD for myself (a local library has two of them that I frequently borrow).

I see that the Isabella Gardner Museum has begun selling tickets for your January and March concerts there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home