Wednesday, September 26, 2007

A Bird's-Eye View

We kicked off our new season with a unique fundraising concert in a beautifully restored schoolhouse in Edgartown, MA, owned by Tony and Diane Bongiorno. Every detail in this amazing house was placed with care, thought and love. I was especially a fan of the antique furniture throughout the home. What a treat! Not only that, but I had the wonderful opportunity to play on a restored 1903 Steinway. Check out the view from one of the seats on the upper floors:


Now when do you ever get a view like that?

The concert kicked off a fundraising campaign for the new Edgartown Library. During our dress rehearsal, Emily, Julie and I traded stories and fond memories of our childhood trips to our local libraries. I remember how excited my sisters and I were for our weekly visit, so I was happy to help with this wonderful and important cause. Besides, who could pass up another visit to Martha's Vineyard????

5 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Blogger histfan said...

This is one of your best postings. I like libraries very much and am writing to you from one now. Also the owner of that house appears to have impeccable taste.

 
At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a beautiful house and piano. But most importantly did you leave copies of your Mendelssohn and Shostakovich/Arensky CDs for the CD collection of the Edgartown Library? If not, perhaps you should send them copies posthaste so that even folks in Edgartown who
may not be able to afford to purchase your CDs can enjoy them by borrowing them from the Library.

Alonzo

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Donna said...

histfan,

I think we must all remember the importance and resourcefulness of libraries, even in this age of the Internet. And yes, the owners of the house have absolutely impeccable taste.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Great idea about donating some copies of our CDs! We shall keep that in mind.

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back in the old days before computers, I would sit alone in a booth at B.C.H.S. and make cow noises until I heard other kids laughing, then the angry librarian would say that whoever is sick should leave. I was caught a few times with a whoopie cushion, then banned for a couple of semesters.

Life was much simpler back in the day;-)/...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home