Sunday, June 17, 2007

Claremont in Green Bay



When our touring schedule brought us to Green Bay, WI, we had another chance to catch up with our favorite Packer fans! While in Wisconsin, we slept under Packers blankets, wore Packers socks, drank from Packers mugs, and signed cds with a Packers pen!

Here's a picture of me with Aaron's brother, Jacob, his cousin, Andrew, and his Grandma!



Since watching last year's Green Bay Packer game and Brett Favre's tearful goodbye on New Year's Eve with Aaron's family in Sheboygan, I have fully embraced my new football loyalties. Aaron and I worked out early on in our relationship that I would concede my (admittedly feeble) loyalty to the Patriots and become a Packer fan as long as he renounced the Brewers in favor of the Red Sox. GO SOX!!! Once that was set, all else has been smooth sailing.

But I must admit that our trio is really a Red Sox group. Emily and I grew up with the bug since we were born and raised in Cambridge. Donna was a more recent convert (her native loyalties still lie with the Vancouver Canucks and the NHL); her husband, Kai Yu, is a huge Sox fan since he went to BU. But we have yet to take her to her first game at Fenway! So how about this: free cds in exchange for Sox tickets? Any takers????

6 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Independent ticket agencies are charging ungodly prices on-line, otherwise you're dealing with scalpers. This subject has often come up with the same remedy: Check out an away game, or at an interleague venue when they play on-the-road. Parking is affordable within reasonable proximity, a whole group can actually sit TOGETHER, and purchasing tickts isn't like extortion. The extra hundreds you pay for tix could cover your cost of a hotel instead. Donna, how would Toronto sound? You could stay at a suite dirctly in the park? Because there's no rivalry, they won't be playing in Milwaukee, but maybe against the Cubs someday? There's also all-inclusive weekend packages to Tampa Bay and Baltimore online :-)/...

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Sounds nice, but I've seen the Red Sox play, just not at Fenway Park! That would be fun. I'll look into away games, though. Good distraction from rehearsals and travel woes.

 
At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I played with you when you did the Beethoven Triple with the JCC Orchestra in Rockville, MD. I was in the first violin section. However I am a Wisconsin native, lived for a time in both Green Bay and Sheboygan (my hometown is nearby Manitowoc, WI.) I must congratulate you on your allegiance to the GB Packers. As a boy, in Green Bay (in 1950) one of the Packer players then lived in the other half of our duplex. No egos then...he came with me to my 3rd grade "show and tell", had his wife take me to a game and years later came to my wedding. I live in MD now and still play with the JCC Orchestra under Joel Lazar.

Jon Teske, violinist

 
At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Julie,

Let me know what dates you (or your fellow Claremonters) want Red Sox tickets. I may have a source for them.

Oliver Markwell

 
At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jon Teske,

Please say hello to Joel Lazar for me, assuming that he is the same Joel Lazar who was Horenstein's "assistant" for many years. I played viola in the Harvard Summer School Orchestra under Joel Lazar one summer in the early to mid 1970's. If I recall correctly, we performed Bruckner Symphony No. 7 under Joel's direction. Although I doubt very much that Joel would remember me, please send him my best regards.

Sam Bruskin

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re sports loyalties: I think it is OK to give up one's allegiance to the Pats, who are kind of becoming the Yankees of football -- in their victory record only, not in their arrogance. But I would be sad to see any Sox fan defect. Wisely chosen.

- the itinerant Liz S. (How many Liz S.'s do you know? Probably a lot, from all of your travels. Liz Simon, this is.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home