Thursday, February 9, 2006

Donna's Free Time

Some of you probably wonder what I do during my free time on tour since I can't possibly pull out a piano and practice in my hotel room. Most of the time, I relax, catch up on sleep, eat, take advantage of the hotel's fitness centre, and generally hang out. However, today was a little more interesting...

It all started a few days ago. I will spare you all the gross details but basically, my hearing out of my left ear has been very fuzzy. Everything out of that ear sounds like I'm underwater, so I figure I have an ear infection. Last night, my ear started hurting so thank goodness for the Internet, I researched my options. Obviously, my hearing is very important to me so I wanted to take care of the problem right away. I woke up this morning and headed for the nearest hospital in Canon City, CO. (Did you know that "urgent care clinics" exist? I couldn't find one in Canon City, though.)

Not knowing what to expect of an ER situation in Canon City (I had scenes from the TV show in my head), I relaxed as I walked into the bright, shiny, new ER wing of the St. Thomas More Hospital. Everything seemed pretty calm in there. They checked me in quite promptly (as promptly as these things go, anyhow) and I was whisked away by a nurse who took my temperature with a nifty device that was brushed across my forehead and in seconds, voila! My temperature reading! Cool...I want one. More standard procedures, including a reading of blood pressure, medical questions, etc. She stumped me with one question, though: "Do you feel safe at home?" I looked at her quite blankly and she explained that the question was to detect any domestic violence. Considering my very gentle husband, I laughed and said, "Well, I live in New York City -- is that safe?" :)

After more waiting around on a hospital bed, I was quickly diagnosed with some infection (don't remember the exact name now) and given a prescription. Before I was discharged, however, another nurse took my blood pressure reading again. I am proud to say my BP is quite normal!!!!!! That much I now know. Hehe. Walmart filled my prescription in about 15 minutes (this is very quick for me as I am used to long waits at Rite Aid in NYC) and I proceeded with the rest of my concert day. You know, eating, hanging out...no time to sleep, though! :)

P.S. No pics!!!!! Sorry to disappoint you, but I figured nobody wants to see nasty pictures of my ear!!!!


2 Comments:

At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heehee, I am gentle.

 
At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heehee, I am gentle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home