Friday, February 3, 2006

Pianos!

To the left, we have the Mason & Hamlin I performed on earlier tonight (Columbus, NE). This particular piano had a very nice, mellow sound, and about 7 feet long. This is the first one I've played on in a long time, and it had a very lovely sound. I play on many Steinways when I'm on the road, so this was a refreshing change.


Life as a pianist can be very challenging. When we are on the road, I can't bring my piano with me, so I play on whatever is available. Every piano is different, even if they are by the same maker. Everything can vary, from the touch and action to the general timbre and pedals. I make use of dress rehearsal time (usually about 2 hrs) to get to know the piano and make any necessary adjustments in my playing. Needless to say, Julie and Emily also have to make adjustments in their own playing to help the group attain the best possible ensemble blend!

1 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donna,

What trios did you play on this piano? How many different programs are you playing on this tour?

a tax lawyer

 

Post a Comment

<< Home