Wednesday, February 8, 2006

NPR

During another long drive today, I was feeling very grateful for NPR which has helped us through many long hours on the road. We've caught them playing a few of my musical favorites - pieces that bring back nostalgic memories. We heard the Schubert Unfinished Symphony which was the first piece I ever played in an orchestra when I was only 12 years old. We heard the Faure Piano Trio which is the first piece that Donna and I played together back at the Taos Music Festival in 1999. And today we heard a broadcast of a performance by our trio's coach from our Juilliard days, Robert McDonald.

We can also keep up with the news on NPR, a format that I infinitely prefer to the television networks. 10 minutes of one of the major networks these days and you think the world is coming to an end, and yet still have no idea what's actually happening!

Although shows like NPR Performance Today, Marketplace, and of course, Garrison Keillor's Prarie Home Companion are played accross the country, each local NPR station does have it's own local color. The variety is fun...some bluegrass tunes in Kansas, or the Native American flutes in New Mexico!

And finally, I know that back in New York my boyfriend, Aaron, listens to NPR from time to time. Maybe he's listening to the same show I am, even though we're 2000 miles apart....?

2 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will you please play Portland, OR. Please?

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Donna said...

Hook it up...we'd love to play there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home