Sunday, March 12, 2006

In Flight

I am a notorious scavenger of print media. Walking off of a flight, I always scan the seat back pockets for reading material left behind by other passengers. (The first class cabin is particularly fertile territory.) Anyone can snag a Times (New York) and a Journal (Wall Street) on a flight out of LaGuardia, the USA Today is available for free at hotels across the country, and there's occasionally something intriguing in the in-flight magazine. For me, an interesting find might be a Washington Post, an LA Times, the Economist, Harpers, the New Yorker, Vanity Fair. (And I have to admit that every once in a while when I'm feeling totally brain dead, I do indulge in Cosmo or People... and make myself even more brain dead.) I enjoy collecting papers from several cities on the same day and then checking who headlines what where. I like comparing the 25-cent dailies in a city to the main publication. I do sometimes feel badly about mooching and not supporting the publishers, but I figure I'm saving paper and money and flight attendants' time, so it can't be all that bad.

When it gets dark I often just look out the window and think... and sleep :-)

3 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've acquired a good research habit by comparing what's on the wire from the various news services. Through the various print media, you have embarked upon an education process that you won't get in the theoretical world of academia. Continue that journey, and don't let anyone dissuade your drive to do so. I do the papers myself--free and otherwise.
J. Cee

 
At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily,

If anyone ever tries to prosecute you for mooching newspapers or magazines, I promise to defend you gratis and am confident the Claremont Trio will not lose its violinist on account of her having to serve any jail time for said mooching.

Oliver

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out the Newseum in Arlington, Virginia, just over the bridge from DC, to compare front pages from dozens of newspapers from all over the US. It's a cool museum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home