Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Fan Club Presidents

Accepting the risk of offending many people, I am going to say that my parents are the Claremont Trio's biggest and most loyal fans. They have travelled to three continents to hear us play in places as exotic as Australia, Italy, and Switzerland, and as seemingly lacking in non-trio attractions as Waco, TX and South Bend, IN. My father in particular has a long history of arguably compulsive listening. He sat through just about every youth orchestra rehearsal we ever played! Both Mom and Dad seem to have a never-ending willingness to enjoy yet another performance of one of our favorite Mendelssohn trios. I know plenty of musicians who get nervous when their parents come to their concerts. But since I've been blessed with the most wonderfully loving and supportive parents ever, it's always a special treat for me when they show up in their favorite spot: the front row.

Mom and Dad were actually Julie's and my first chamber music partners. They are both excellent amateur players: Mom plays violin, piano, and flute; Dad plays viola. When they first heard they were going to have twins they decided the two kids would play violin and cello so they could have a family string quartet. Whoever came first would get the violin. (Yup, they're serious planners!) We played family concerts along with my other sister Amanda for many years, and we still love to read through string quartets for fun when we go home. I feel so lucky to have had such an early and fun introduction to chamber music!

Here's a picture with my parents and my aunt and uncle (also loyal fans!).

Emily, Sam (Dad), Debby (Mom), John (Uncle), Frances (Aunt), Julie


7 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Family that Plays Together Stays Together:)
Bring in Donna! Now you're talkin' a Family Album;) Yeeea!!

 
At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Emily,

That is such a beautiful entry! I bet it will make your parents cry!

Algernon

P.S. Your dad is wearing a pretty spectacular Chocloate Lab sweater in the picture. Did your mom knit that?

 
At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, that certainly made my day...love you too, guys.
Mom

 
At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving us a cameo appearance!

Uncle John

 
At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Emily and Julie,

You made my day, too! I can now tell my friends that I'm on the web!

So enjoyed being with you out here on the left coast! Come back soon!

"Aunt" Frances

 
At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Emily,

I have known your father for more than 25 years and I can assure you that he definitely is not compulsive about anything!

Ichabod

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Emily,

I have known your father for more than 21 years, and I too can assure you that he is absolutely not the least bit compulsive about anything.

Aloysius

 

Post a Comment

<< Home