Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Traveling Under Tighter Security

This recent New York Times article appeared regarding musicians and new travel regulations:

Article

*Sigh* Thankfully, we don't have any concerts planned in the UK just yet but I'm sure it will be much fun getting past security with music stands and instruments!

I am a moisturizer fanatic. Must keep those fingers moisturized. I guess I will have to live with dry skin for a few hours while my trusty moisturizers sit in my checked baggage! :)

Good luck to everyone traveling...

Update (August 16, 2006): I have heard reports from friends in Europe that certain airports and airlines, like Heathrow, refuse to allow musical instruments on board, while others will allow them. There is also a Spain-based airline that will allow violins on board, as long as they are taken out of their cases and placed in clear plastic bags!! Imagine that...for once, I am glad I cannot carry my instrument with me!

Check out this recent article and related comments from the UK.






4 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Donna,

Rumor has it that earlier this week Julie made it to Vienna with her cello and Emily made it to Paris with her violin. If the rumor is correct, not even their rosin, instrument polish or Julie's endpin were confiscated. So apparently there still is hope!

Ichabod

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Donna said...

Well, if Emily made it onboard with her violin, we should be okay! As far as I know, Julie checked in an old cello instead of taking one onboard, so we'll see.

 
At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The various Comments follwing the BBC article were interesting & heartbreaking for those who misplaced their trust in the airlines (in general) and baggage-handlers (in particular). The cargo-bay is no place for a priceless violin or cello.
The BBC is a credible alternative media source, Donna, whether it be simulcast on NPR, or via cable / satellite TV, or by hunting down a clear frequency on a short-wave radio.
J. Cee

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps the Claremont Trio should stop flying altogether and hire Ryan full time to drive you around the United States in his van. The only disadvantages to that are that it may be slower (although with all the time wasted at airports perhaps not) and as far as I know Ryan doesn't give frequent flyer miles (which rumor has it is the way Julie got to Vienna and Emily got to Paris)....

Algernon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home