Monday, January 26, 2009

Recognition For What We Do

There has been much discussion recently about whether or not it's possible to play stringed instruments outside in 20 degree weather. I, who have chronic problems getting my fingers warm in your average heated concert hall, believe strongly that nobody should ever have to try. But some people do try.

Like this guy I saw a week ago playing violin on the steps of the church two blocks from my apartment. He caught my eye because he was playing backwards - violin on his right shoulder, bow in his left hand. He was very friendly, and when he saw the violin case on my shoulder, he asked where I play. I gave him the quick answer and then asked how he could stand to play outside in New York in January?? He said he can go about an hour before he needs to go inside and get hot chocolate. He then explained that he was self-taught, and by the time he realized that he was playing the "wrong" way, he was too far along to start over.

Cut to this morning, when the New York Times reviewed Leon Kirchner's 90th birthday concert, which we played in this past weekend. I am a fanatic reader of the Times online, but I almost never actually shell out money for a hard copy (though I shamelessly scavenge them at the airport - it is fun to read the real thing). I have a confession to make: I AM apparently willing to shell out money to look at my own picture in the Times. I was doing just that at the newstand on my corner, when somebody behind me asked if I play the violin (on my shoulder, as usual). I said yes, and he said he does too, except he does it backwards because he was self-taught. I turned around, recognized the man from the church steps and said "Didn't we meet last week?" He said "Yes, of course!," and I couldn't help opening up my Times and showing him my trio's picture. He was really excited for me, and said "It's so great that you're getting recognition for what you do."

I really wish I had been more on the ball with my cell phone camera last week, so that I could have given him illustrated recognition for what he does - outside when it's 20 degrees and windy!

2 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a fantastic review in the New York Times. But the Claremont's performance Saturday evening was terrific and certainly deserved that favorable a review! And the picture was super!!! Now all your concerts should be reviewed like that!
Jonas

 
At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great story, Emily. You could send it in to the Metro Diary in the NYT! Norma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home