Monday, April 13, 2009

72 Hours in Vancouver

I am always looking for a good excuse to visit my parents in Vancouver -- beautiful city, home-cooked meals, great dim sum, fresh seafood! Ok, ok, so I do not actually need an excuse to visit my parents, but I do need one to hop on a flight for 6 hours. So, when I looked at my calendar a little while ago and saw the upcoming concert in Seattle, I quickly booked myself on a flight into Vancouver instead of Seattle. I could use the extra few days to adjust to the time change anyhow!

So, I have spent the past few days with my parents. I feel as if I've been eating a lot of great food, but one of the highlights was last night's dinner:


Absolutely the best, fresh (plucked live out of the restaurant's seafood tank) Alaskan king crab, steamed in garlic and scallions. Pretty amazing stuff.

I also found some delicious little guavas at a local supermarket, rarely seen in New York City:




My parents' house is very close to the 2010 Winter Olympic venue for speed skating, named the Richmond Olympic Oval. This impressive structure is pretty close to completion, and it is already open for testing prior to the Games. I unfortunately did not have time to stop in for a tour, but my father has already used the facility for some badminton fun. (Yes, they have dry floor activities as well.) I snapped a quick picture as we drove by.



While I was packing tonight for my journey to Seattle tomorrow, I got sidetracked by the contents of my sister's closet. I dug out many nostalgic items of clothing, but this really took me back:

Very appropriate for Easter, no? However, I don't believe I ever wore this for any Easter occasion -- this was the beginning of my concert wardrobe!

6 Comments:

At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Donna,

Will your parents be able to go to your Claremont Trio concert in Seattle?

Bruno

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Donna said...

Yes, they will be coming!

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a photo of yourself with this dress from an earlier posting where you were practicing for your Rachmaninoff debut. You must tell Kai Yu to take the next red-eye flight to Seattle to catch your next recital. Vancouver is a confectionaries paradise with its specialty coffee shoppes. There's a Dim Sum take-out place on Stafford Road, where the namesake appetizer is served with a tart wine-sauce. But I don't get why they always yell at each other in dialect after I place my order.

 
At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Ohgahd said...

Was in attendance at the Meany in Seattle for the Schubert program. What a treat! Thank you so much. It was announced that your parents and piano teacher were in attendance - was this an early teacher?

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Yes, my teacher, Lorraine Ambrose, from my days back from the ages 9-18. It was great to see her again!

 
At 1:53 AM, Blogger Marissa said...

Hope you enjoyed your time in Vancouver! That food looks seriously yummy...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home