Monday, October 16, 2006

Faces and Names

One of the great perks of our travels is that we meet lots of people. However, I am awful at remembering names with their faces. As a result, it came as no surprise to me when a lovely Asian couple approached me after our recent performance in Augusta, GA and I thought to myself, "They sure look familiar!"

My next thought was, "“Uh-oh, what are their names and how do I know them?"”

At this point in such situations, I usually have to make a decision: do I smile and pretend to know these people, or should I come right out and ask them who they are (in a charming manner)? In this scenario, I chose the latter.


"“I'm sorry, you look very familiar, but how do I know you?"

The woman smiled at me gratefully. "“I'’m so glad you said that! I wasn'’t sure if you'd remember me!"

Whew. Saved from looking like a complete idiot, I eagerly awaited her response. Was it a concert elsewhere? I racked my brain furiously. She teased me a bit as she paused and peered at me expectantly. I was not about to start guessing because I hate guessing games (and am terrible at them).

"“Your father and I are first cousins. You stayed with my brother and me in Toronto when you were very young. I'’m Sandy!"”

Whoa. This was not what I had expected. She is my second-cousin? Wow. Aside from my aunt and uncle in Atlanta, I was not aware I had more relatives living in Georgia! This was totally unexpected and caught me off guard, as I had expected her to say that we had met at a concert in a different city. I was pretty excited to see her and her husband, Joe, at my concert, as I do not have a lot of relatives in North America. As it turned out, Sandy remembered my name (I certainly look different from when she last saw me, when I was about eight years old) and saw it in some publicity materials for the concert. I guess she decided to surprise me and show up at the concert!

When I later spoke to my father (actually, instant messaging him on Skype -- a wonderful program, by the way), he hadn'’t even known that his cousin Sandy had moved to Georgia! He was quite delighted to hear about my encounter with her.

I guess an additional bonus to all our traveling can lead to surprise meetings with long-lost relatives!

2 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Donna! With Kai Yu's parents in Tennessee, your cousin in Georgia, and Julie and Emily having relatives both in Georgia and Louisiana, the Claremont Trio ought to be able to establish a real southern presence. But I think that all three of you need to get to work on your southern accents!

Billy Boy

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A southern accent is easy to fake--it's all in the drawl, y'all. Tell'em y'all play the bes' dag-gum classics this side of the bayou, and y'all even teachin' the young'ins. Yeeee-Haa! Gotta feel that hometown hospitality in your delivery, and people will turn-on to what you're sellin'! They're good-hearted people, if you approach them proper-like.

J.Cee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home