Friday, November 10, 2006

A Family Away From Home

We truly enjoy performing in Dayton, OH, not just for the wonderful concert series (Vanguard Concerts) run by Elana Bolling, but also for the wonderful fan base! This was our 4th appearance for the series in the past 3 years! We have met some geniunely warm and kind-hearted people there, especially Burt and Alice Saidel. They are our generous hosts whenever we show up, and they graciously go out of their way to make us feel welcome and entertained. It is so wonderful to feel so welcome away from our homes. Pictured below, with the Saidel clan, from left to right: Alice Saidel, Burt Saidel, Donna, Julie, Emily, Debra Saidel.



We had a fantastic time at the reception after the concert! Who could turn down food and wine?




Here, we have Elana Bolling (left), director of the Vanguard Concerts at the Dayton Art Institute, and Alice Saidel (right), hostess extraordinaire.






Since I have enjoyed going back to Dayton so much, I decided to bring my husband along this time around. While we were busy rehearsing, my husband, Kai Yu, teamed up with Burt Saidel in his basement to cook up a little surprise for me. Burt Saidel has an incredible woodworking shop in his basement and has made some beautiful wood pieces! Here is Kai Yu in
action:




What is he making? They turned out to be some very beautiful bookends, made of walnut wood. :) I don't have pictures of the finished product right now, but soon...

In the meantime, here is a photo of the two trouble-makers:



8 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Food and wine? I didn't think that the members of the Claremont Trio were old enough to drink, at least not legally!

Hortense

 
At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kai Yu isn't a troublemaker if he's in the basement making you matching walnut bookends. If he spent hours concocting toxic formulas, noxious vapors, or creating an improvised weapon from schematics taken from The Poor Man's James Bond--now THAT is a troublemaker :o

J.Cee

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger histfan said...

Sunday afternoon I heard the Boston Trio perform Beethoven's triple concerto with the Boston Classical Orchestra. I would have much preferred it if the Claremont Trio would have replaced the Boston Trio at that concert.

Have you performed in Faneuil Hall before?

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Histfan should e-mail his/or her comment directly to someone at the Boston Classical Orchestra. Perhaps they will take the hint next time around.

By the way is Histfan going to hear Emily and Julie play a Brahms Double Concerto with the Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra at Sanders Theater at Harvard University on Friday evening, December 1?

Horatio

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger histfan said...

I tried to call the box office at Sanders Theater, but I got a recording. Perhaps I should try again.
Hope that it is not sold out by the time that I finally get through.

September tenth does seem like a long time ago now. Time for some more music performed by the Bruskin duo. Will Donna perform anytime soon in Boston?

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

donnaa its daniel! how have you beenn? yeah so i was just wondering..are you guys coming down to boston for xmas this year like you did last year?i miss you guys and i ahvent seen you for awhile

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger histfan said...

I purchased my orchestra seat for the Brahms Double Concerto Friday night. Thank you for the reminder.

The box office manager asked me how I found out about the concert. I explained that I had seen you three times at the Gardner Museum and that I read your blog etc.

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger Donna said...

daniel, good to hear from you again! thanks for keeping up with our blog. :) unfortunately, this xmas, we'll be away in TN visiting some family and friends, but we'd love to come back and visit again sometime. you're always welcome in nyc...just let us know!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home